States Ski Association Northern Division
Welcome to the USSA
Northern Division Pages, where you'll find information on alpine skiing
and ski racing, including event schedules and the latest racing results.
The USSA Northern Division
organizes alpine competition in Montana, Yellowstone National Park, and in
the northern Wyoming counties of Park, Hot Springs, Big Horn, Washakie,
Sheridan, Johnson, Campbell, Crook Weston, Natrona, Converse and South
Dakota west of the Missouri River, within the framework of USSA, FIS and
Western Region Programs, procedures and rules.
USSA Northern Division Board of Directors, through its Alpine Competition
Committee, coordinates and supervises activities in the area. For
the name of the ski program in your area contact the Northern ACC Division
Chairman or President at the address and telephone number listed below. USSA
Northern programs are conducted by volunteers working with USSA staff in
the Western Regional office.
New as of September 20, 2017:
- Important rule change for season 17-18: All non-scored events will now be required to use CERTIFIED start and finish referee's, just like scored events. Be sure that you have your people trained up by getting them to a JA/RF clinic this fall. Non-scored races will also need to submit TDTR reports, same as the scored events. All certified officials must update every other year to remain current and will lose certification is update is more than 3 years ago.
- The calendar draft has been updated.
- Big Sky is having their annual "race night" on September 26, from 4:00 7:00 PM at the Fire Pit Park, Big Sky Town Center. The cost is free. The 2017 Race Night is a great opportunity to score pro deals from leading Alpine ski race equipment manufacturers. All Northern Division athletes are welcome! If you plan to come, please fill out a short form to RSVP.
- Sherri emailed key club members invoices for Northern Division Annual Club Dues. Please let her know if you did NOT receive them or if you would prefer a mailed hard copy. So far, she has received payment from one club. All payments must be received so that you can vote by our Fall Meeting scheduled for October 14th in Bozeman.
- Homogulation News: From John Jett, Chairman, U.S. Ski & Snowboard Timing Working Group. "Beginning in 1997 FIS set up criteria for timing equipment and phased in the requirement for its Homologation. First was timers followed with Start Gates and Photocells. All homologations were set with a shelf life of 15 years after which, another homologation test would need to be performed or the device would no longer be valid for use at FIS events. Scheduled for expiration in June 2018 was a significant number of photocells and start gates. In early June of this year, the FIS Timing working group met and decided to extend the expiration of start gates and photocells homologated in 2003. These devices will now expire in 2023 enjoying a 5 year extension. There has been, and will be, no significant changes in the FIS homologated timing equipment list this year and if your gear was good last winter, you can keep using it for some years to come. The next significant expiration of timing equipment homologations is scheduled occur in June of 2023. Please review the list of homologated timing equipment prior to each season as unexpected changes may occur. https://data.fis-ski.com/services/timing-and-data/homologated-timing-equipment.html"
- The U.S. Center for SafeSport is excited to announce a two-part webinar series for sport administrators and parents, featuring expert training from Michelle Peterson, a nationally renowned child-abuse consultant, investigator and researcher. Read about them here.
- Information on the Banff Thanksgiving Camp has been updated. Deposit due September 30.
- Documents from the USSA Congress have been posted. A summary is here. 2017-2018 equipment rules and Alpine Course Setting have been posted. There are proposals for U16 athletes, US Alpine Championships, and US Nationals Quotas. There is also the WR Congress Calendar proposal.
- Information on the Western Region U16 SL Project has been posted. This camp is by invite only. Deadline to accept the invite is June 16th.
- Information on the FWSA Athletic Scholarship has been posted.
- New Alpine Course Setting regulations have been posted.
- A Gatekeeper Training Video has been posted on the USSA site. Please make sure your Head Gatekeepers and Chief of Race knows how to find this resource, so that it can be viewed by gatekeepers.
- The latest Master Packet of USSA forms is here.
- Intents to compete at FIS events happen at http://ussa.org/alpine-programs/regions/intents. Coaches need to register annually as this keeps the site contact info current. Intent deadlines have also been published for FIS races to assist you. Sherri will send reminders throughout the season for these as well. For most events, you would click
on the West tab in the USSA link and intend there. Sherri handles the selections for the West FIS Series with the exception of FIS-U's. Gywnn handles all the out of region FIS intents and FIS-U's. Please feel free to call Sherri if you have any questions. Once selections are done, Sherri will send them to you to confirm/pull, giving you a deadline to meet. Non-College athletes pay a $200 non-refundable deposit BY the confirmation deadline. Should they pull after that date, the deposit
is forfeited. If they attend, that deposit is applies to that trip cost.
- Sherri is still missing a Northern Division banner. If anyone can help with that, let her know. These banners are roughly 5' by 7' and they have just the Northern Division logo on them.
- The 16-17 Alpine Skiing Physical Assessment presentation has been posted, along with some audio files.
- Those who would like to be either ON or OFF Sherri's Divisional email distribution list should let her know.
- Please note that the cost of using your credit card to pay this year is 5%.
- REMINDER! USSA Membership Renewal Deadline is October 15th! USSA Member Services recommends members use the convenient online membership registration by visiting my.ussa.org. Late fees past this deadline will occur for the following membership categories: Coaches, Masters and Athletes. Additional
Division or State late fees may also apply! Membership questions can be answered through the online chat support button, email (email@example.com) or by phone at 435-647-2666.
- PLEASE NOTE: Race Administrators throughout the division have asked us to remind you of proper entry procedures:
- Use ONLY the USSA Team Entry form. A sample of that form, filled out, is here. Do NOT use a copied Google form or Excel spreadsheet.
- Fill out the form completely using the event columns
- Use a separate form for EACH gender!
- Put coaches names and USSA #'s on the bottom and any additional info the RA might need.
- Do NOT enter, pull, add or change the entry WITHOUT using this form as an ATTACHMENT. In the subject line of your email, put your team's name and what event they are for, i.e, MSEF Entries for Stano Cup.
- Once again DO NOT use emails for changes, pulls or adds. Too many emails back and forth are too difficult to follow.
- IF there is a deadline and a late fee, you WILL be charged.
- If after you submit your entries, something changes - make the changes in RED and attach the same form with the changes and date the changes! This clarifies things much easier for the RA.
- Northern Policy is that you must pull athletes by 5 pm the night prior to the event (except in cases of illness or injury) or PAY the full entry fee for all days.
- USSA is insisting that coaches be members of USSA. Coaches without current USSA membership must not be allowed to participate in the event in any capacity. This includes on-hill coaching for their teams. (This does not apply to foreign coaches at FIS events.) ROC's/RA's will not only have to verify status of membership/Officials' certifications (RF, CR, JA, etc.), they will now have to verify membership
for all coaches who wish to be involved with an event. Some suggestions are:
- Print a list of current coaches and verify against it. This might be easier than having a computer available at registration and verifying coaches' memberships one at a time
- Require that coaches present their membership card prior to being issued event credentials/lift tickets.
- Require that teams submit a list of coaches accompanying their athletes 24 hours prior to the event
(If an ROC/RA chooses to use either suggestion 2 or 3, Sherry recommends that they make note of the requirement in their Race Announcement.)
A reminder of the Travel Policy, found here. Lodging and transportation arrangements are made with a certain number of athletes in mind. Please acquaint yourself with the Travel Policy for Northern Division when it comes to payments and refunds.
Teams providing "comps" to selected racers
will need to send in the Division Head Tax form, located here.
USSA Coach Membership will not be required for Canadian coaches accompanying competitors entered in CAN-AM events; however, if any of the Coaches wish to serve as Course Setters, etc., the USSA membership requirement will apply.
2017 USSA Deadlines and Form
It's time to get your racing license for
next season! You need to renew by October 15th to avoid paying late fees. To compete in a USSA Sanctioned Event, an athlete must
be a member of USSA. This
year you can apply for your license ONLINE.
Late fees past this deadline will occur for the following membership categories: Coaches, Masters and Athletes. Additional Division or State late fees may also apply!
Please note completed applications will only be processed with
proper payment. USSA accepts Visa, Mastercard, personal and cashiers
checks. The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Association prefers Visa.
The deadline to be included on the first alpine FIS points lists
is May 31st. To assure that your membership is processed for
inclusion on any list, your membership materials must be received by USSA at
least seven days prior to the closing date for that list. Registrations
are not considered received until they are complete. It is
the athlete's responsibility to ensure that his or her USSA and/or FIS
membership registration is received. You can contact USSA member services (435-647-2666)
to check the status of your application. Remember to include your Northern
Please note: USSA
and FIS points are not continually being updated they are recalculated for
each new list. For more information on how points are calculated,
see chapter 3 of your USSA Alpine Competition Guide.
U.S. Ski and
Snowboard Association alpine competitors registering for FIS who have not
sent in their FIS registration by August 15, 2016 will have to pay $155, compared to $85. To
complete registration USSA must have a
completed USSA Alpine Competitor application or renewal form, a completed
FIS declaration and payment for USSA, FIS and any other
applicable division or state dues. This year, you can register
online. Or click here to
go and download the Adobe registration application.
Division Handbook 2015 - 2016
Payments for racing fees can be made
to the following. If you are using credit
card payment, please note that we only accept American Express, Visa,
Like any organization which supports youth athletics, we are always happy to get donations to help with the staging of events, prizes, etc. We are a 501 (c) 3 NonProfit. Should you wish to help out, contact:
2248 West River Rd
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
our mailing list to learn more about upcoming
events and racing results from the Northern Division
Hale to get on the E-mail list.