States Ski Association Northern Division
Welcome to the USSA
Northern Division Pages, where you'll find information on alpine skiing
and ski racing, including event schedules and the latest racing results.
The USSA Northern Division
organizes alpine competition in Montana, Yellowstone National Park, and in
the northern Wyoming counties of Park, Hot Springs, Big Horn, Washakie,
Sheridan, Johnson, Campbell, Crook Weston, Natrona, Converse and South
Dakota west of the Missouri River, within the framework of USSA, FIS and
Western Region Programs, procedures and rules.
USSA Northern Division Board of Directors, through its Alpine Competition
Committee, coordinates and supervises activities in the area. For
the name of the ski program in your area contact the Northern ACC Division
Chairman or President at the address and telephone number listed below. USSA
Northern programs are conducted by volunteers working with USSA staff in
the Western Regional office.
New as of April 22, 2014:
- The USSA Club Excellence Conference is scheduled for May 13 and 14 in Park City. Early bird registration (and pricing) ends April 25.
- A head coach is needed for the Missoula ski team. Read about it here.
- The 2014 Activity Record for officials and coaches needs to be sent to Bob Petitt, our Officials' Chair, by May 1.
- More camp opportunities! G2R camps and some from FVSEF. FVSEF also has provided an overview of their camps.
- Information on the Silver Run summer race camp has been posted.
- The annual awards for race and academic performance have been posted.
- Northern Division joins in sorrow with Discovery Ski Team, who yesterday lost their coach, friend, mentor and a fellow skier, Peter Maxwell to an avalanche. Prayers and heartfelt sympathy are with the entire Maxwell family.
- We now have a Sponsor page to honor those whose help is so important to us.
- It's a new season, so we have a new list of missing clothing starting.
- From Whitefish YSL: YSL size, full zip Spyder pants. They have yellow accents on the sides. Boys 14 or large size. Please message Sherri if you have them!
- PLEASE NOTE: Race Administrators throughout the division have asked us to remind you of proper entry procedures:
- Use ONLY the USSA Team Entry form. A sample of that form, filled out, is here. Do NOT use a copied Google form or Excel spreadsheet.
- Fill out the form completely using the event columns
- Use a separate form for EACH gender!
- Put coaches names and USSA #'s on the bottom and any additional info the RA might need.
- Do NOT enter, pull, add or change the entry WITHOUT using this form as an ATTACHMENT. In the subject line of your email, put your team's name and what event they are for, i.e, MSEF Entries for Stano Cup.
- Once again DO NOT use emails for changes, pulls or adds. Too many emails back and forth are too difficult to follow.
- IF there is a deadline and a late fee, you WILL be charged.
- If after you submit your entries, something changes - make the changes in RED and attach the same form with the changes and date the changes! This clarifies things much easier for the RA.
- Northern Policy is that you must pull athletes by 5 pm the night prior to the event (except in cases of illness or injury) or PAY the full entry fee for all days.
- The team list has been updated with the "official" abbreviations for clubs. Please use these to make it easier for USSA and the Division Manager. A printable copy has been posted as well.
- The Northern Division Handbook has been posted.
- We now have a Payment method to accept Donations (see orange button at the bottom of the page). We also have a Intuit Payment Network page to accept your race payments. Please note that the Intuit method presents you with two options -- the use of your credit card or the use of your bank account. If you decide to use your credit card, you must still add on the 4% credit card processing
- NOTICE: The YSL Champs, March 14 to 16, 2014, is being held at the same time as the Class B basketball tournaments. If you are going to be needing lodging, you should book your hotel now!
- The latest Master Packet of USSA forms is here.
- The new points list dates have been posted.
- USSA is insisting that coaches be members of USSA. Coaches without current USSA membership must not be allowed to participate in the event in any capacity. This includes on-hill coaching for their teams. (This does not apply to foreign coaches at FIS events.) ROC's/RA's will not only have to verify status of membership/Officials' certifications (RF, CR, JA, etc.), they will now have to verify membership
for all coaches who wish to be involved with an event. Some suggestions are:
- Print a list of current coaches and verify against it. This might be easier than having a computer available at registration and verifying coaches' memberships one at a time
- Require that coaches present their membership card prior to being issued event credentials/lift tickets.
- Require that teams submit a list of coaches accompanying their athletes 24 hours prior to the event
(If an ROC/RA chooses to use either suggestion 2 or 3, Sherry recommends that they make note of the requirement in their Race Announcement.)
Big Sky has set up a site for racers in Northern Division to swap/sell/buy skis and other racing equipment.
The USSA Western Region website has moved to be under the USSA umbrella. That new link is http://ussa.org/alpine-programs/regions/western-region. The webmaster has fixed most of these links, excluding references in old minutes which point to things NOT ON the new site. Email me if I missed any. There are references to ussawest.com in some of the handbooks in PDF
format. Those will be reloaded when the fixes are made.
Reminder: U14's only need a YOUTH license to compete in our division. They will be able to enter two events with our Juniors (Speed at Big Sky and tech at OHG), but will be able to do that with their YOUTH license.
There are changes to the current USSA Comp Guide.
Dave Bayliss has put together a website for Northern Division for collaborative learning for ski race officials, coaches, and parents. Learn from and teach your peers from across the USSA about managing and officiating a successful ski race. Ask questions; get answers. Check it out, here.
A reminder of the Travel Policy, found here. Lodging and transportation arrangements are made with a certain number of athletes in mind. Please acquaint yourself with the Travel Policy for Northern Division when it comes to payments and refunds.
USSA now has online
events scheduling for sanctioned events. Coaches or club presidents will need to register and have your Club ID # ready. Note there
is a late fee after November 15th! Please note that events
fees increased this year.
Teams providing "comps" to selected racers
will need to send in the Division Head Tax form, located here.
USSA Coach Membership will not be required for Canadian coaches accompanying competitors entered in CAN-AM events; however, if any of the Coaches wish to serve as Course Setters, etc., the USSA membership requirement will apply.
2014 USSA Deadlines and Form
It's time to get your racing license for
next season! You need to renew by October 15th to avoid paying late fees. To compete in a USSA Sanctioned Event, an athlete must
be a member of USSA. This
year you can apply for your license ONLINE.
Please note completed applications will only be processed with
proper payment. USSA accepts Visa, Mastercard, personal and cashiers
checks. The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Association prefers Visa.
The deadline to be included on the first alpine FIS points lists
is May 31st. To assure that your membership is processed for
inclusion on any list, your membership materials must be received by USSA at
least seven days prior to the closing date for that list. Registrations
are not considered received until they are complete. It is
the athlete's responsibility to ensure that his or her USSA and/or FIS
membership registration is received. You can contact USSA member services (435-647-2666)
to check the status of your application. Remember to include your Northern
Please note: USSA
and FIS points are not continually being updated they are recalculated for
each new list. For more information on how points are calculated,
see chapter 3 of your USSA Alpine Competition Guide.
U.S. Ski and
Snowboard Association alpine competitors registering for FIS who have not
sent in their FIS registration by August 15, 2013 will have to pay $155, compared to $85. To
complete registration USSA must have a
completed USSA Alpine Competitor application or renewal form, a completed
FIS declaration and payment for USSA, FIS and any other
applicable division or state dues. This year, you can register
online. Or click here to
go and download the Adobe registration application.
The FIS and USSA hardcopy forms require the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
which is available free here.
Division Handbook 2013 - 2014
this useful guide to racing
rules for the Northern Division.
Payments for racing fees can be made
to the following. If you are using credit
card payment, please note that we only accept American Express, Visa,
You can also use our direct payment page. The direct payment option is done though our Quickbooks/Intuit Payment Network. Intuit safely handles financial data and transactions for millions of customers. Payment Network adheres to rigorous online banking industry protection standard and works hard to protect your information. Please note that if you use this method and select a Credit
(as opposed the Bank Account) option, you must add 4% to cover our credit card processing fees.
Like any organization which supports youth athletics, we are always happy to get donations to help with the staging of events, prizes, etc. Should you wish to help out, click here:
We are a 501 (c) 3 NonProfit
2248 West River Rd
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
406-846-2757, ext. 26(W)
our mailing list to learn more about upcoming
events and racing results from the Northern Division
Hale to get on the E-mail list.