States Ski Association Northern Division
Welcome to the USSA
Northern Division Pages, where you'll find information on alpine skiing
and ski racing, including event schedules and the latest racing results.
The USSA Northern Division
organizes alpine competition in Montana, Yellowstone National Park, and in
the northern Wyoming counties of Park, Hot Springs, Big Horn, Washakie,
Sheridan, Johnson, Campbell, Crook Weston, Natrona, Converse and South
Dakota west of the Missouri River, within the framework of USSA, FIS and
Western Region Programs, procedures and rules.
USSA Northern Division Board of Directors, through its Alpine Competition
Committee, coordinates and supervises activities in the area. For
the name of the ski program in your area contact the Northern ACC Division
Chairman or President at the address and telephone number listed below. USSA
Northern programs are conducted by volunteers working with USSA staff in
the Western Regional office.
New as of November 21, 2013:
- Print a list of current coaches and verify against it. This might be easier than having a computer available at registration and verifying coaches' memberships one at a time
- Require that coaches present their membership card prior to being issued event credentials/lift tickets.
- Require that teams submit a list of coaches accompanying their athletes 24 hours prior to the event
(If an ROC/RA chooses to use either suggestion 2 or 3, Sherry recommends that they make note of the requirement in their Race Announcement.)
Big Sky has set up a site for racers in Northern Division to swap/sell/buy skis and other racing equipment.
The USSA Western Region website has moved to be under the USSA umbrella. That new link is http://ussa.org/alpine-programs/regions/western-region. The webmaster has fixed most of these links, excluding references in old minutes which point to things NOT ON the new site. Email me if I missed any. There are references to ussawest.com in some of the handbooks in PDF
format. Those will be reloaded when the fixes are made.
The annual Stacey Cook SVST Scholarship Application is now up and available on her site,
Reminder: U14's only need a YOUTH license to compete in our division. They will be able to enter two events with our Juniors (Speed at Big Sky and tech at OHG), but will be able to do that with their YOUTH license.
MISSING ITEMS CORNER.
USSA Coach Membership will not be required for Canadian coaches accompanying competitors entered in CAN-AM events; however, if any of the Coaches wish to serve as Course Setters, etc., the USSA membership requirement will apply.
PLEASE NOTE: Race Administrators throughout the division have asked us to remind you of proper entry procedures:
- Skis at Discovery. Shane Petrey (on the
MSEF team) lost a pair of Atomic Racers. They are "free skis" that were at the top
of the course. The skis are marked with "petrey". They are hoping to get them back before the
YSL championships in Big Sky. Contact Stacy Petry if you have info, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Black Spyder Boys Force Training snowpants with suspenders. Size 12 in very good condition. Charcoal gray Spyder logo. Green, blue and red pattern on suspenders. No name. Last seen
next to BSSEF team jacket just prior to U14 boys first slalom race on
Sunday at Missoula YSL races. If found please contact Beck Trebesch
(BSSEF) at 406/579-6809 or at Discovery this weekend.
- Still listed as missing from an earlier race: Silver Run is missing clothing from the race the weekend of January 20, a Men's Small Obermeyer puffy
coat, dark blue. Email email@example.com
if you picked it up by mistake.
The 12-13 Handbook has been posted.
There are changes to the current USSA Comp Guide.
Dave Bayliss has put together a website for Northern Division for collaborative learning for ski race officials, coaches, and parents. Learn from and teach your peers from across the USSA about managing and officiating a successful ski race. Ask questions; get answers. Check it out, here.
The amended By Laws have been approved and are available for distribution.
USSA is launching a new program called SkillsQuest as part of its Alpine Training System. Read about it here.
A reminder of the Travel Policy, found here. Lodging and transportation arrangements are made with a certain number of athletes in mind. Please acquaint yourself with the Travel Policy for Northern Division when it comes to payments and refunds.
USSA now has online
events scheduling for sanctioned events. Coaches or club presidents will need to register and have your Club ID # ready. Note there
is a late fee after November 15th! Please note that events
fees increased this year.
Teams providing "comps" to selected racers
will need to send in the Division Head Tax form, located here.
- Use ONLY the USSA Team Entry form. A sample of that form, filled out, is here.
- Fill out the form completely using the event columns
- Use a separate form for EACH gender!
- Put coaches names and USSA #'s on the bottom and any additional info the RA might need.
- Do NOT enter, pull, add or change the entry WITHOUT using this form as an ATTACHMENT. In the subject line of your email, put your team's name and what event they are for, i.e, MSEF Entries for Stano Cup.
- Once again DO NOT use emails for changes, pulls or adds. Too many emails back and forth are too difficult to follow.
- IF there is a deadline and a late fee, you WILL be charged.
- If after you submit your entries, something changes - make the changes in RED and attach the same form with the changes and date the changes! This clarifies things much easier for the RA.
- Northern Policy is that you must pull athletes by 5 pm the night prior to the event (except in cases of illness or injury) or PAY the full entry fee for all days.
2014 USSA Deadlines and Form
It's time to get your racing license for
next season! You need to renew by October 15th to avoid paying late fees. To compete in a USSA Sanctioned Event, an athlete must
be a member of USSA. This
year you can apply for your license ONLINE.
Please note completed applications will only be processed with
proper payment. USSA accepts Visa, Mastercard, personal and cashiers
checks. The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Association prefers Visa.
The deadline to be included on the first alpine FIS points lists
is May 31st. To assure that your membership is processed for
inclusion on any list, your membership materials must be received by USSA at
least seven days prior to the closing date for that list. Registrations
are not considered received until they are complete. It is
the athlete's responsibility to ensure that his or her USSA and/or FIS
membership registration is received. You can contact USSA member services (435-647-2666)
to check the status of your application. Remember to include your Northern
Please note: USSA
and FIS points are not continually being updated they are recalculated for
each new list. For more information on how points are calculated,
see chapter 3 of your USSA Alpine Competition Guide.
U.S. Ski and
Snowboard Association alpine competitors registering for FIS who have not
sent in their FIS registration by August 15, 2013 will have to pay $155, compared to $85. To
complete registration USSA must have a
completed USSA Alpine Competitor application or renewal form, a completed
FIS declaration and payment for USSA, FIS and any other
applicable division or state dues. This year, you can register
online. Or click here to
go and download the Adobe registration application.
The FIS and USSA hardcopy forms require the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
which is available free here.
Division Handbook 2012 - 2013
this useful guide to racing
rules for the Northern Division.
Payments for racing fees can be made
to the following. If you are using credit
card payment, please note that we only accept American Express, Visa,
You can also use our direct payment page. The direct payment option is done though our Quickbooks/Intuit Payment Network. Intuit safely handles financial data and transactions for millions of customers. Payment Network adheres to rigorous online banking industry protection standard and works hard to protect your information. Please note that if you use this method and select a Credit Card (as opposed the Bank Account) option, you must add 4% to cover our credit card processing fees.
Like any organization which supports youth athletics, we are always happy to get donations to help with the staging of events, prizes, etc. Should you wish to help out, click here:
We are a 501 (c) 3 NonProfit
2248 West River Rd
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
406-846-2757, ext. 26(W)
our mailing list to learn more about upcoming
events and racing results from the Northern Division
Hale to get on the E-mail list.