States Ski Association Northern Division
Welcome to the USSA
Northern Division Pages, where you'll find information on alpine skiing
and ski racing, including event schedules and the latest racing results.
The USSA Northern Division
organizes alpine competition in Montana, Yellowstone National Park, and in
the northern Wyoming counties of Park, Hot Springs, Big Horn, Washakie,
Sheridan, Johnson, Campbell, Crook Weston, Natrona, Converse and South
Dakota west of the Missouri River, within the framework of USSA, FIS and
Western Region Programs, procedures and rules.
USSA Northern Division Board of Directors, through its Alpine Competition
Committee, coordinates and supervises activities in the area. For
the name of the ski program in your area contact the Northern ACC Division
Chairman or President at the address and telephone number listed below. USSA
Northern programs are conducted by volunteers working with USSA staff in
the Western Regional office.
New as of March 15, 2017:
- Notices for the Big Sky Jr. Champs will be posted in the Race Documents for that event. Please check regularly. Everyone should be getting these notices in their email, but if not, that's where you'll find them. The latest covers SkillsQuest plans.
- An additional slalom, for U19-U21's only, has been added to the Sun Valley races at the end of March.
- Sherri only received waivers for the Alpine Meadows/Squaw Valley U14 Champs from three people (Beatty, Roberts & Anderson), which she has now sent to the head coach. All others must be to Paul Mannelin PRIOR to the first Team Captains Meeting, so BRING it to him for training or scan and email it to him. The release was attached to the race announcement on the third page! Did you miss it?
- Selections have been posted for Tri-Divisionals. (3 day event - nothing on Sunday- there are reduced lifts available for those who want to stay and ski Snowbird Sunday) Sherri needs even the alternates to confirm/pull by 3/9 via email please. Athletes will be seeded in each event in the order in which they qualified. There will be a U16 at least in every seed. Our coaches (once finalized) will be lodging at the Crystal Inn so that is where team meetings and waxing will happen. Crystal Inn is now fully booked. Athletes for this event stay with their parents and are free to lodge wherever. We have also posted info on the Hyatt. The Hyatt reduced rate, unfortunately, is no longer in effect, but they do have a few rooms left. Sherri has set aside an overflow of rooms at the Holiday Inn Express five blocks from the Crystal Inn.
- Photos have been posted for the YSL and Speed Camp events at Big Sky. See the race documents for links.
- Selections, seeding, and race info for the U14 Championships in Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows have been posted. Sherri has booked a big VBRO house for the athletes and coaches (Kings Ranch area). All athletes are required to lodge with the team at Championship events. If you click on our calendar and the event, you will find the race announcement and lodging info, although with all the snow they have received lodging is tight. Sherri suggests VRBO or condos for parents. She is handling all entries. Please notify Sherri by March 8 of your athlete's attendance. Registration and payment is due by March 13th. Arriving early is optional. Let Sherri know and she will adjust your invoice accordingly if you are NOT getting there a day ahead. Make sure to fill out the waiver attached to the race announcement and get it to your coach by March 15 or scan and email it to Sherri. Paul's cellphone is 941-321-3120. Two more coaches have expressed an interest in helping with the event. While we know everyone wants their own coach, we cannot have a ratio of 2 athletes to 1 coach. Generally the ratio is 5/1. Perhaps clubs can pick up the additional costs for their lifts/per diem/transportation and they can take a couch for sleeping. Let Sherri know and she will arrange it with the organizer.
- ND Academic AwardsTime: The academic awards are for recognition of those athletes who have displayed both academic and athletic success. They will be given out at the Over the Hill Gang races. Athletes are responsible for submitting a copy of their transcript to the Northern Division Manager by March 18, 2017 to be considered. Criteria: Athletes must have at least a 3.50 grade point average and be selected as an alternate or competitor for the U21-U19 Western Region Championships or U16 Junior Championships.
- Information for the Big Sky Jr. Champs has been posted. Registration and payment is due by March 14. This is a split venue so we needed full coaching staff. MAKE sure you get your banquet tickets parents ASAP (limited number). Coaches and athletes are priced in already. Seeding is posted and was determined by your selection order in that event. Lucas (406-239-0030) will schedule team meetings and get in contact with all of you. Big Sky is in great condition - going to be a great event! Sherri will mail out invoices which allow you to pay online with bank account. If you want to pay by credit card online, email her and she will add the 5% and re-send. You can also mail a check using the registration form or fill in the cc info and get it to her. Athletes are staying at the Huntley Lodge and can check in there late afternoon of the 15th.
- Sherri would like to apologize about the delay in getting the estimate for the WR Champs at Schweitzer out. A release is here. (You should get an email confirming that.) She has rented a house a little out of Sand Point, which will be a drive every day, but nice for meals and cooking in. Parents can help out with dinners if they like but be sure and clear it through the coaching staff first. Coats have been left with the coaching staff. Sherri did her best with sizes but not everyone will get the right one. (It is a total guess in the fall when she has to place the order.) If you want to pay online, email her how you would like to pay (bank account check or credit card which adds 5%) and she will 1) apply any credits you already have and 2) will send you an invoice with a direct payment button (safe, secure and encrypted Intuit Network) Otherwise, please fill this form out and mail a check or fill out the cc payment and get it back to her ASAP. (by WED, March 7, please!) As for coaches travel plans, please check with them. They have to be at Team Captain's meeting at 6pm (7pm our time). With the drive, coaches will need two vehicles. The link to the lodging is in the estimate. She will send driving instructions to the coaches.
- Selections for the U16 Championships at Big Sky and the FIS Championships at Schweitzer have been posted.
- A quick reminder to any post high school grads or U21's wanting to compete at WR FIS Championships at Schweitzer:
NOTE: high school students do NOT have to use the intents process, but all other rules above apply
- The TD assignments have been posted. Organizers contact your TD well in advance of your event.
- New Alpine Course Setting regulations have been posted.
- This season's equipment specs have been updated. In regard to those rules, Western Region wanted to make sure that everyone is aware of the three decisions that the ASC Executive Committee made:
- The ASCEC voted unanimously to table the proposal from Central, to modify the U19 and older GS rules as recommendations rather than rules, until it goes through the proper channels of approval by the Rocky/Central Regional ACC and the Regional Subcommittee at next spring’s Congress.
- The ASCEC voted unanimously to approve moving the women’s U19 and older GS radius rule from 25m for the 2016-17 season to 30m for the 2017-18 season. This proposal will now be moved to the ASC for approval on the fall conference call.
- On the fall conference call, the ASCEC will recommend a review of the FIS and USSA equipment regulations this winter in order to make a proposal at next year’s Congress that USSA adopt FIS equipment rules in SL and GS.
Please note, you must meet all equipment specs for the age group and race. There are now three sheets of specs to view.
The 16-17 Northern Division handbook has been posted.
Please note that the Intents Deadlines have been corrected. A couple races jumped forward a month, notably Mammoth and Snowbird. Get registered again and watch for Sherri's emails for selections and confirms/pulls deadline. Once you register, you go to the appropriate tabs and then click on the EVENT under Entry Forms and Confirmation.
You can check who has intented by clicking on the "View Intents" for that event. Call or email Sherri if you have any questions regarding the site. Remember non-college athletes must make a $200 deposit which will be forfeited should they pull after confirming. She will send them a bill for the deposit once she has confirmations and that will be due within 24 hours of confirmation.
A Gatekeeper Training Video has been posted on the USSA site. Please make sure your Head Gatekeepers and Chief of Race knows how to find this resource, so that it can be viewed by gatekeepers.
Northern Division forms were due for all U14's and older by December 1st to show up on any selection board. All U14's and older are REQUIRED to have all four of these forms ON FILE at the Northern Division office: Team Agreement, Medical Release, Indemnity Form (Hold Harmless),
Agreement. All travelling coaches must have a Team agreement signed and on file. Preferred delivery is 1) by FAX or 2) by scanning and emailing back to Sherri (once filled out). Otherwise, put them in the mail. College athletes must sign a Hold Harmless agreement and Medical Release. (Generally College coach submits all at once) We would also
like to have a
team roster from the colleges.
The latest Master Packet of USSA forms is here.
Intents to compete at FIS events happen at http://ussa.org/alpine-programs/regions/intents. Coaches need to register annually as this keeps the site contact info current. Intent deadlines have also been published for FIS races to assist you. Sherri will send reminders throughout the season for these as well. For most events, you would click
on the West tab in the USSA link and intend there. Sherri handles the selections for the West FIS Series with the exception of FIS-U's. Gywnn handles all the out of region FIS intents and FIS-U's. Please feel free to call Sherri if you have any questions. Once selections are done, Sherri will send them to you to confirm/pull, giving you a deadline to meet. Non-College athletes pay a $200 non-refundable deposit BY the confirmation deadline. Should they pull after that date, the deposit
is forfeited. If they attend, that deposit is applies to that trip cost.
Sherri is still missing a Northern Division banner. If anyone can help with that, let her know. These banners are roughly 5' by 7' and they have just the Northern Division logo on them.
The 16-17 Alpine Skiing Physical Assessment presentation has been posted, along with some audio files.
Information on the results of the USSA Congress are here. It includes links to equipment changes, course setting rules, etc.
Coach openings in the division and regionally have been posted.
Those who would like to be either ON or OFF Sherri's Divisional email distribution list should let her know.
Please note that the cost of using your credit card to pay this year is 5%.
REMINDER! USSA Membership Renewal Deadline was October 15th! USSA Member Services recommends members use the convenient online membership registration by visiting my.ussa.org. Late fees past this deadline will occur for the following membership categories: Coaches, Masters and Athletes. Additional
Division or State late fees may also apply! Membership questions can be answered through the online chat support button, email (email@example.com) or by phone at 435-647-2666.
PLEASE NOTE: Race Administrators throughout the division have asked us to remind you of proper entry procedures:
USSA is insisting that coaches be members of USSA. Coaches without current USSA membership must not be allowed to participate in the event in any capacity. This includes on-hill coaching for their teams. (This does not apply to foreign coaches at FIS events.) ROC's/RA's will not only have to verify status of membership/Officials' certifications (RF, CR, JA, etc.), they will now have to verify membership
for all coaches who wish to be involved with an event. Some suggestions are:
- Use ONLY the USSA Team Entry form. A sample of that form, filled out, is here. Do NOT use a copied Google form or Excel spreadsheet.
- Fill out the form completely using the event columns
- Use a separate form for EACH gender!
- Put coaches names and USSA #'s on the bottom and any additional info the RA might need.
- Do NOT enter, pull, add or change the entry WITHOUT using this form as an ATTACHMENT. In the subject line of your email, put your team's name and what event they are for, i.e, MSEF Entries for Stano Cup.
- Once again DO NOT use emails for changes, pulls or adds. Too many emails back and forth are too difficult to follow.
- IF there is a deadline and a late fee, you WILL be charged.
- If after you submit your entries, something changes - make the changes in RED and attach the same form with the changes and date the changes! This clarifies things much easier for the RA.
- Northern Policy is that you must pull athletes by 5 pm the night prior to the event (except in cases of illness or injury) or PAY the full entry fee for all days.
- Print a list of current coaches and verify against it. This might be easier than having a computer available at registration and verifying coaches' memberships one at a time
- Require that coaches present their membership card prior to being issued event credentials/lift tickets.
- Require that teams submit a list of coaches accompanying their athletes 24 hours prior to the event
(If an ROC/RA chooses to use either suggestion 2 or 3, Sherry recommends that they make note of the requirement in their Race Announcement.)
A reminder of the Travel Policy, found here. Lodging and transportation arrangements are made with a certain number of athletes in mind. Please acquaint yourself with the Travel Policy for Northern Division when it comes to payments and refunds.
Teams providing "comps" to selected racers
will need to send in the Division Head Tax form, located here.
USSA Coach Membership will not be required for Canadian coaches accompanying competitors entered in CAN-AM events; however, if any of the Coaches wish to serve as Course Setters, etc., the USSA membership requirement will apply.
2017 USSA Deadlines and Form
It's time to get your racing license for
next season! You need to renew by October 15th to avoid paying late fees. To compete in a USSA Sanctioned Event, an athlete must
be a member of USSA. This
year you can apply for your license ONLINE.
Late fees past this deadline will occur for the following membership categories: Coaches, Masters and Athletes. Additional Division or State late fees may also apply!
Please note completed applications will only be processed with
proper payment. USSA accepts Visa, Mastercard, personal and cashiers
checks. The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Association prefers Visa.
The deadline to be included on the first alpine FIS points lists
is May 31st. To assure that your membership is processed for
inclusion on any list, your membership materials must be received by USSA at
least seven days prior to the closing date for that list. Registrations
are not considered received until they are complete. It is
the athlete's responsibility to ensure that his or her USSA and/or FIS
membership registration is received. You can contact USSA member services (435-647-2666)
to check the status of your application. Remember to include your Northern
Please note: USSA
and FIS points are not continually being updated they are recalculated for
each new list. For more information on how points are calculated,
see chapter 3 of your USSA Alpine Competition Guide.
U.S. Ski and
Snowboard Association alpine competitors registering for FIS who have not
sent in their FIS registration by August 15, 2016 will have to pay $155, compared to $85. To
complete registration USSA must have a
completed USSA Alpine Competitor application or renewal form, a completed
FIS declaration and payment for USSA, FIS and any other
applicable division or state dues. This year, you can register
online. Or click here to
go and download the Adobe registration application.
Division Handbook 2015 - 2016
this useful guide to racing
rules for the Northern Division.
Payments for racing fees can be made
to the following. If you are using credit
card payment, please note that we only accept American Express, Visa,
Like any organization which supports youth athletics, we are always happy to get donations to help with the staging of events, prizes, etc. We are a 501 (c) 3 NonProfit. Should you wish to help out, contact:
2248 West River Rd
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
our mailing list to learn more about upcoming
events and racing results from the Northern Division
Hale to get on the E-mail list.