States Ski Association Northern Division
Welcome to the USSA
Northern Division Pages, where you'll find information on alpine skiing
and ski racing, including event schedules and the latest racing results.
The USSA Northern Division
organizes alpine competition in Montana, Yellowstone National Park, and in
the northern Wyoming counties of Park, Hot Springs, Big Horn, Washakie,
Sheridan, Johnson, Campbell, Crook Weston, Natrona, Converse and South
Dakota west of the Missouri River, within the framework of USSA, FIS and
Western Region Programs, procedures and rules.
USSA Northern Division Board of Directors, through its Alpine Competition
Committee, coordinates and supervises activities in the area. For
the name of the ski program in your area contact the Northern ACC Division
Chairman or President at the address and telephone number listed below. USSA
Northern programs are conducted by volunteers working with USSA staff in
the Western Regional office.
New as of March 10, 2014:
- Selections and information for the Park City Champs has been posted. Payment and registration is due March 18. The liability release is here. (That goes to the coach, not Sherri.) Sherri has blocked out rooms for Northern coaches and enough
rooms for all (if interested) at the Landmark Inn at Park City.
(Be sure to mention you are with NORTHERN Tri-Divisionals because Intermountain (IMD) also has a block of rooms set aside for the event. The block will be held until the 15th of March. Please make your reservation in your own name.) Athletes are not required to stay with the team, but they are required
to be present at all Team meetings and functions. The Head Coach will
be contacting you with that information. You may choose to make your
own reservations at the same hotel or at a different location if you
desire. As of now, we have 8 coaches, but have budgeted for only 6.
Our Alpine Competition Chair will make that decision soon and choose a
Team Captain. Athletes will be seeded three to a seed based on their
rankings in each column of the selection boards for each event with
results from YSL Champsionships also figured in those rankings.
- The information for Mission Ridge has been posted. Payment and registration is DUE TODAY, March 10. Athletes have found their own lodging and MSEF coach will likely travel with MSEF parents - if not, they should pay his mileage at .55/mile.
Only MSEF athletes will pay per diem costs. Nevada will be represented in TC Meeting by MRST coach until Graham arrives, but Nevada will not be coached, hence no per diem necessary.
Nevada in for Full Series, MSEF tech only. Please be AWARE the weather and snow conditions may cause a change in the schedule of events.
- The information for the U16 Championships at Jackson have been posted. Payment and registration is due March 15. The release form is online. We have on online payment link, but we are limited to a certain number of daily transaction amounts and monthly totals, so probably best to go the old fashioned snail mail way this year until they up our allowable on line amounts.
Team lodging and pricing applies to what I have included....should you decide to "go early and train, that is up to your coach and you will need to work that out with them. Not everyone always wants to do that, so we do not include that. We are set to arrive at the hotel 3/18 and depart 3/23.
Jeremy will be contacting you with additional information and a coaching and meeting plan. At this level of an event, athletes are expected to participate in all team activities, meals and meetings. Any deviance from this must be cleared through him first.
Please contact Sherri should you have any questions.
- We now have a Sponsor page to honor those whose help is so important to us.
- The selections for the Junior Championships at Squaw have been posted. The race estimate is here. Registration and payment is due by Monday, March 3. Since it is so late, please use the Payment Network link and put WR Champs in the memo - make sure you pay the correct amount based on your age class. If you use your checking account routing number, use the check amount, but if you pay by credit card, pay the amount with the 4% fee added in please. Here is the safe and secure (encrypted) link: https://ipn.intuit.com/pay/NorthernDivisionUSSA. A Bio and Liability release that MUST be signed by a parent (if under 18) and GIVE those to ROGER as he has to turn them in Monday at the Team Captain's meeting. In regard to travel, the WR Champs crew will be departing at 2 pm on Sunday from the BSF Office. It is a 13.5 hour trip. They will travel half way on Sunday and the rest on Monday to make it to the team captains' meeting at Monday by 5pm. The travel night will be spent south of Twin Falls, ID at the ID/NV state line. This may be an additional charge as we were unsure of Pete Petry's plans at the time. Pete is now coming with us as another ND coach.
Since one extra night is already included in the cost, at this point we think costs should be okay. As always, however, the race estimate is JUST AN ESTIMATE.
- It's a new season, so we have a new list of missing clothing starting.
- From Whitefish YSL: YSL size, full zip Spyder pants. They have yellow accents on the sides. Boys 14 or large size. Please message Sherri if you have them!
- PLEASE NOTE: Race Administrators throughout the division have asked us to remind you of proper entry procedures:
- Use ONLY the USSA Team Entry form. A sample of that form, filled out, is here. Do NOT use a copied Google form or Excel spreadsheet.
- Fill out the form completely using the event columns
- Use a separate form for EACH gender!
- Put coaches names and USSA #'s on the bottom and any additional info the RA might need.
- Do NOT enter, pull, add or change the entry WITHOUT using this form as an ATTACHMENT. In the subject line of your email, put your team's name and what event they are for, i.e, MSEF Entries for Stano Cup.
- Once again DO NOT use emails for changes, pulls or adds. Too many emails back and forth are too difficult to follow.
- IF there is a deadline and a late fee, you WILL be charged.
- If after you submit your entries, something changes - make the changes in RED and attach the same form with the changes and date the changes! This clarifies things much easier for the RA.
- Northern Policy is that you must pull athletes by 5 pm the night prior to the event (except in cases of illness or injury) or PAY the full entry fee for all days.
- Intents for events in April are due to Jeremy email@example.com and Sherri by March 1st. Please use this form if you are not familiar the format. Remember intents for Western Region events (includes
divisional FIS) and out of region USSA events
come to Sherri and Jeremy. Nor-Ams, FIS U's, and out of Region FIS are done through the on line process. IMPORTANT NOTE: Any one OUT of high school must submit an intent to compete at WR Junior Champs and also must have Northern paperwork in, attend at least 1 ND tech event and 1 ND speed event to remain on the selection boards. Also - a FIS license is required to go, so be aware - FIS licenses take about 10 days to
- USSA Webinars have been announced. There are two series:
- USSA Club Programming:
This conference is designed for USSA club leaders. Topics cover ski and snowboard club management, organization, leadership, operational and athletic programming areas. This educational event is a valuable addition and allows club leaders to also participate in the sport meetings where USSA
rules, regulations and programming are discussed. Click here for a PDF copy of the full schedule. Don't forget to sign up for the conference by clicking here.
- Peak Conference series is designed with clubs in mind, but is also for parents,coaches, officials and everyone else helping to grow skiing and
snowboarding in the United States. Join in on the monthly calls to learn the
latest on everything from introducing young children to snow to dealing
with illness and injury. Note the times are posted in Eastern Time.
- TD schedule for this season has been posted. Please contact your TD IN advance of your event - more than a week ahead, preferably two!
- The team list has been updated with the "official" abbreviations for clubs. Please use these to make it easier for USSA and the Division Manager. A printable copy has been posted as well.
- The Northern Division Handbook has been posted.
- We now have a Payment method to accept Donations (see orange button at the bottom of the page). We also have a Intuit Payment Network page to accept your race payments. Please note that the Intuit method presents you with two options -- the use of your credit card or the use of your bank account. If you decide to use your credit card, you must still add on the 4% credit card processing
- NOTICE: The YSL Champs, March 14 to 16, 2014, is being held at the same time as the Class B basketball tournaments. If you are going to be needing lodging, you should book your hotel now!
- The latest Master Packet of USSA forms is here.
- Staff openings at Missoula, MSU and Big Sky have been posted.
- The new points list dates have been posted.
- There is an opening for an Alpine Coach at MSU.
- USSA is insisting that coaches be members of USSA. Coaches without current USSA membership must not be allowed to participate in the event in any capacity. This includes on-hill coaching for their teams. (This does not apply to foreign coaches at FIS events.) ROC's/RA's will not only have to verify status of membership/Officials' certifications (RF, CR, JA, etc.), they will now have to verify membership
for all coaches who wish to be involved with an event. Some suggestions are:
- Print a list of current coaches and verify against it. This might be easier than having a computer available at registration and verifying coaches' memberships one at a time
- Require that coaches present their membership card prior to being issued event credentials/lift tickets.
- Require that teams submit a list of coaches accompanying their athletes 24 hours prior to the event
(If an ROC/RA chooses to use either suggestion 2 or 3, Sherry recommends that they make note of the requirement in their Race Announcement.)
Big Sky has set up a site for racers in Northern Division to swap/sell/buy skis and other racing equipment.
The USSA Western Region website has moved to be under the USSA umbrella. That new link is http://ussa.org/alpine-programs/regions/western-region. The webmaster has fixed most of these links, excluding references in old minutes which point to things NOT ON the new site. Email me if I missed any. There are references to ussawest.com in some of the handbooks in PDF
format. Those will be reloaded when the fixes are made.
Reminder: U14's only need a YOUTH license to compete in our division. They will be able to enter two events with our Juniors (Speed at Big Sky and tech at OHG), but will be able to do that with their YOUTH license.
There are changes to the current USSA Comp Guide.
Dave Bayliss has put together a website for Northern Division for collaborative learning for ski race officials, coaches, and parents. Learn from and teach your peers from across the USSA about managing and officiating a successful ski race. Ask questions; get answers. Check it out, here.
A reminder of the Travel Policy, found here. Lodging and transportation arrangements are made with a certain number of athletes in mind. Please acquaint yourself with the Travel Policy for Northern Division when it comes to payments and refunds.
USSA now has online
events scheduling for sanctioned events. Coaches or club presidents will need to register and have your Club ID # ready. Note there
is a late fee after November 15th! Please note that events
fees increased this year.
Teams providing "comps" to selected racers
will need to send in the Division Head Tax form, located here.
USSA Coach Membership will not be required for Canadian coaches accompanying competitors entered in CAN-AM events; however, if any of the Coaches wish to serve as Course Setters, etc., the USSA membership requirement will apply.
2014 USSA Deadlines and Form
It's time to get your racing license for
next season! You need to renew by October 15th to avoid paying late fees. To compete in a USSA Sanctioned Event, an athlete must
be a member of USSA. This
year you can apply for your license ONLINE.
Please note completed applications will only be processed with
proper payment. USSA accepts Visa, Mastercard, personal and cashiers
checks. The U.S. Ski & Snowboard Association prefers Visa.
The deadline to be included on the first alpine FIS points lists
is May 31st. To assure that your membership is processed for
inclusion on any list, your membership materials must be received by USSA at
least seven days prior to the closing date for that list. Registrations
are not considered received until they are complete. It is
the athlete's responsibility to ensure that his or her USSA and/or FIS
membership registration is received. You can contact USSA member services (435-647-2666)
to check the status of your application. Remember to include your Northern
Please note: USSA
and FIS points are not continually being updated they are recalculated for
each new list. For more information on how points are calculated,
see chapter 3 of your USSA Alpine Competition Guide.
U.S. Ski and
Snowboard Association alpine competitors registering for FIS who have not
sent in their FIS registration by August 15, 2013 will have to pay $155, compared to $85. To
complete registration USSA must have a
completed USSA Alpine Competitor application or renewal form, a completed
FIS declaration and payment for USSA, FIS and any other
applicable division or state dues. This year, you can register
online. Or click here to
go and download the Adobe registration application.
The FIS and USSA hardcopy forms require the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
which is available free here.
Division Handbook 2013 - 2014
this useful guide to racing
rules for the Northern Division.
Payments for racing fees can be made
to the following. If you are using credit
card payment, please note that we only accept American Express, Visa,
You can also use our direct payment page. The direct payment option is done though our Quickbooks/Intuit Payment Network. Intuit safely handles financial data and transactions for millions of customers. Payment Network adheres to rigorous online banking industry protection standard and works hard to protect your information. Please note that if you use this method and select a Credit Card
(as opposed the Bank Account) option, you must add 4% to cover our credit card processing fees.
Like any organization which supports youth athletics, we are always happy to get donations to help with the staging of events, prizes, etc. Should you wish to help out, click here:
We are a 501 (c) 3 NonProfit
2248 West River Rd
Deer Lodge, MT 59722
406-846-2757, ext. 26(W)
our mailing list to learn more about upcoming
events and racing results from the Northern Division
Hale to get on the E-mail list.